Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Monet and Mojitos

Event Date: Saturday, April 6, 2011


So I didn't see an actual Monet painting or have a mojito, but I did have a pre event glass of white wine at Cafe Shane and  I lingered in some of the  Brooklyn Museum's exhibits after participating in the festivities at their monthly First Saturdays event hosted by Target. Once a month, the museum offers free performances, movies, curator talks, and hands on art experiences, along with free admission to view the exhibits after 4pm. The night culminates with a dance party in their
Beaux-Arts Court
.

This was my first time participating in the Target First Saturdays event. Unfortunately, this was the first time I stepped into the Brooklyn Museum as an adult. I remember visiting the museum for a school trip and feeling I had the first time I was surrounded by the art. My peers were mostly bored or saw the vast open spaces in some areas of the museum as a playground, but I was captivated. All of those feelings came rushing back as I walked though the museum's revolving door for this event. We were greeted by the sounds of a folk and jazz sounding band playing the lobby. There were hundreds of people waiting on line to get tickets the events the museum had on their program.

My friend was very excited to see Kenny Muhammad, an acclaimed beat boxer perform with Cocoro Strings. The event flyer described it as a "percussive twist on classical music". In word one I described it a phenomenal. Mr. Muhammad was able to mix a genre that is birthed from hip hop with classical selections by musicians such as Vivaldi as well perform eclectic interpretations of rock, jazz, and pop music. The performance was profound and energetic. During his solo performance we were all dancing in our seats as he used his mouth to make beats that were reminiscent of the popular hip hop sounds of the 90's as well as today. His tribute to the Dirty South had the audience which was comprised of all races and ages doing dance moves similar to ones made popular by rapper Ludacris. When he began his collaboration with the Cocoro Strings which was a group made up of three violinists and one cellist it became magical.

When the classical music intertwined with beats coming out his mouth it was like being on a roller coaster. The climax of the strings combined with the build up of his beats took the audience through an experience which felt like a story unfolding in front of our eyes. There was sadness and longing, as well as excitement and triumph. I felt every beat and note as if he was singing to me. In fact, being who I am I found a way to relate almost every composition to a feeling I have experienced in my past relationships.

The event I was looking forward to the most was the Hands-On Art class. We were able to use charcoal to sketch portraits of live models as they emulated some poses that can be found in illustrations by artist Norman Rockwell. I absolutely love to draw. I started to teach myself at a very young age. I'm not art gallery good or even flea market ready but I'm  a decent artist. I was excited to get instruction from an actual art teacher for free. When the class started it was a little a different than I expected. The instructor gave us several sheets of paper and a box of charcoal and guided us through 30 second drawing sessions to eventually eight minute sessions where we drew different poses that the model was demonstrating. What I learned is that it takes me way longer than eight minutes to make a piece of art that I'm proud of, but I could push myself to be more precise with time limits. You can see my "creations" below.
 




Hands on Art class. 5 minute drawing on the left and 8 minute drawing on the right. They are both equally horrible.
 Lastly, there was the dance party. I have heard stories about how this section of the museum is transformed into a club like atmosphere. There was a bar and club colored lighting but I only made it through the first 30 minutes which still had more of a family friendly vibe with kids doing B-Boy moves in the middle of dance floor. On my way out I saw the club going crowd role in and I felt like I was missing out. But I was exhausted and simply satisfied with all of the things I got to experience earlier in the day. Next time I'll be shaking my butt with the rest of them.







No comments:

About Me

My photo
20 Something Serial Monogamist with a distinct point of a view. I am a lover of love who is interested in disecting the physical reasoning behind love vs. the emotional reasoning.